LightningStrike is the first aircraft in history designed to demonstrate the following:
- Distributed hybrid-electric propulsion ducted fans
- Innovative synchronous electric-drive system
- Both tilt wing and canard for vertical take-off and landing
- High efficiency in both hover and high-speed forward flight
- Created by Aurora Flight Sciences and partners Rolls-Royce and Honeywell
- Developed for the Vertical Take-Off and Landing Experimental Aircraft (VTOL X-Plane) program
- Funding from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
Above Images: Stills from LightningStrike VTOL X-Plane’s First Flight
Approved for Public Release, Distribution Unlimited.
Above Images: Approved for Public Release, Distribution Unlimited.